This morning Ubuntu rolled out the latest updates of OpenOffice3. Unfortunately, after installing them, I couldn’t even start the Office suite. It just stopped in the middle of the Splash loading process.
I tried rebooting the system in vain. In order to check if I was the only one affected by this bug, I went to #Ubuntu on IRC and it turned out there were others who were affected as well.
One of them took the initiative and contact an OO guy, he got an immediate reply.
Here’s the fix: remove openoffice.org-gnome by “sudo apt-get remove openoffice.org-gnome”.
As you can see, this is a temporary fix so once everything is tackled, we can reinstall openoffice.org-gnome.
The details are below:
Hope this helps.